top of page
  • Writer's pictureDr. Albert L Reyes

Has it been a year already? COVID-19 Anniversary

Updated: Apr 13, 2021

Are you used to writing the word “March” for today’s date? Just like that, this month marks a year since a global pandemic, COVID-19, invaded our lives. The way life used to be is a distant memory. If a new habit takes 21 repetitions to form, we have lots of new habits in the “new normal.” We know how to work at home, survive a lockdown, practice social distancing, wear masks, carry hand sanitizer at all times, order food, and anything we want, need, and can afford on Amazon (in the USA), unless of course, you experienced SNOWVID-21. We have learned how to exercise, shop, eat, rest, and recreate under safety protocols. In a heartbeat, our world changed. But the looming question is: Will we rewind back to “normal?”

I was on a Zoom call last week hosted by Ring Central featuring Mr. Kevin O’Leary of Shark Tank. Ring Central conducted a survey asking professionals if they plan to return to the office to work. Only 13% said they wanted to go back to the office while the other 87% said they prefer to work from home or somewhere else. O’Leary talked about “The Great American Digital Pivot,” while describing all 50 companies he invests in showing a negative cashflow right after COVID-19 began. He worked with several of them to pivot to digital commerce to provide goods directly to the customer. One by one, his companies began to pivot and show positive cash flows. He contends “online” is everything in the future. Architects are beginning to include an office space in their condo communities and apartment complexes. Videographers, photographers, and storytellers are the artists in this new future. He said, “Companies that build tech platforms with a direct relationship to the customer will own the future.”

Our world has dramatically changed, and nobody bothered to ask us for permission. That’s the thing about missional people, we have no input in selecting our day and place. Dr. Leonard Sweet, in his book, "Rings of Fire: Walking in Faith through a Volcanic Future" (NavPress, 2019), says, “A missional people and a missional church don’t get to pick their day and place … anything less is a church out of place (a people out of place).” He recommends a discipline of study for the times we live in: theogeography, the effect of place on faith, community, and mission.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. As for Buckner International, we will focus on the words of the prophet Jeremiah: “Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” (Jeremiah 29:4-7).

109 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page